Monday, March 5, 2012

I've Changed the title 4 times and still can't find one I like

An entire month? Is this for real? I didn't realize until just now that my desire to blog comes in so far behind my desire to catch up on my dvr on Monday nights. Real Housewives, Modern Family and Law and Order start to take up too much of my available dvr space and I can't stand it, I have to clear it out. It's not that my TV doesn't work the other 6 nights of the week but Monday is the only night my husband is at class so from 5pm-8pm the dog and I have 3 wonderful hours of the house to ourselves. I don't know what I'll do in a few months when Brian is done with his apprenticeship program and will be home 7 evenings a week. I shutter to think about it.

Other then my dvr I have been busy with friends, food and pinning. Since I discovered Pinterest most of my free time involves pinning things, making the recipes I pinned, posting status and pics of the recipes I made to facebook so that everyone can see how talented i am, and planning get togethers with my friends so we all can have an occasion to try out our Pinterest recipes.

Spending the majority of my day on Pinterest did inspire "Couples Cooking Night" at my house. One of the things Brian and I struggle with is not having very many common interests. Too easily we fall into a routine of me getting home from work, cooking dinner, cleaning up dinner and then maybe we sit down together for an hour or so and watch tv together but usually I find something else to do around the house while he watches tv or gets on the computer. So during the warmer months we make an effort to take our dog to the bike trail after dinner, have a bonfire outside or go for a bike ride. However, in the winter there isn't much to do in the evenings that doesn't require spending money or driving 30 minutes back into town. Because necessity is the mother of invention "Couples Cooking Night" was born.

"Couples Cooking Night" (herein referred to as CCN) is where one night a week we make dinner together, we usually pick out the meal and grocery shop ahead of time. But this isn't all fun and games, there are a few rules to CCN. The first (and my personal favorite) is that the tv is off and our cell phones are in the other room. It's funny how when you both have smartphones you can spend the entire evening next to each other but not actually communicate at all.  The second is that we try to get a bottle of wine or something to make it feel special and give it a slight date night esque vibe. The only other rule is that we have to pick out the recipe together, it can be from a cookbook or online, just as long as it's yummy.  Although at first I thought this was a good idea just because I would have some help in the kitchen one night a week it has turned into something we both look forward to. Brian usually sends me a text around 3pm when he gets home from work saying he is excited about our cooking date, which makes me happy and excited about it too.

Ahh, anyway I'm glad I have someone who loves me enough to participate in things like this with me. I just hope he doesn't expect the same cooperation when he gets tired of CCN and wants to start "Couples Video Game Night".....

No comments:

Post a Comment